Sunday, January 12, 2014

The Gift of Story

Story. Such a small, yet powerful word. Stories have always been an important part of my life. I recall Granddaddy, who lived with us as I was growing up, tell me “jigs”, which were funny little stories told in poem form that seemed to have no worthwhile meaning. Oh, but they did have meaning: they built a bridge of laughter and love between Granddaddy and me, as he came up with endless stories that never grew dull. I can still hear him now, “Charlie Brown, went to town, riding a horse, leading a hound. Hound it barked, horse it jumped. Threw little Charlie Brown straddle of a stump.” Still makes me smile. Then there was Grandmother who only knew two fairy tales. One about “Little One Eye, Little Two Eye, and Little Three Eye”, and the other about “Flopsy, Mopsy and Cottontail”. I must have heard those stories told by her a million times; yet still, every night I spent the night in their part of the house, I longed to hear her tell them again.

There is something about story that draws us in, piques our interest, and invites us to places we have never been. God gave us incredible minds that can imagine the tales we are told in such a way that brings the stories alive in full technicolor. It's no wonder He gave us the Bible, a book of stories, more fanciful, amazing and intriguing than any other book around. It's a book about heroes and villains, kings and kingdoms, war and peace, bounty and loss, love and family, joy and sorrow, life and death. It's a book that invites us in and educates us of our beginnings, our brokenness, our purposes, and our futures. Unlike other stories, in a very real way, it breathes life into our aching souls, gives power to defeat spiritual foes, and explains to us who we are in this world.

                   Amazingly, it also is a book that is still being written.

                                                               God's story is not yet over.

No, God is not still adding pages to Scripture, as that is complete; but He is still writing the story of creation, fall, redemption and restoration on the pages of history. And we are very real characters, with very important purposes, in this incredible story.

For the longest time I simply went through my days as if my life had no bearing on anything at all. I am convinced now, though, that each and every one of us has been given a life of great value, worth and meaning. I am humbled by that. Lord, mold me and use me in ways so that I may fully realize my purpose for being. Use me for Your glory. Show me where to go, what to do, who to become, who to reach out to. Speak to me on the pages of my own story-board, so that I might follow Your will for my life, rather than my own self-centered desires. Show me, Lord, who You have created me to be all along. Illuminate to me parts of my life that have always shown patterns, gifts, longings and dreams which have served to point me in the direction You would have me go. Make me more aware of who I am in You, and who You are in me, as we travel down this path of life together. I am not alone in this, am I? Thank you, Lord, for always being there, leading me, guiding me, loving me. Even when I was at my worst, You never booted me from your story.

No comments:

Post a Comment